Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager
Heill Safety Solutions LLC is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of EHS Manager in Watsonville, California, for our client, Reiter Affiliated Companies (RAC). This position will be responsible for all aspects of EHS, provide direction and support with a team. The ideal person will also drive RAC’s safety performance, compliance, and culture as RAC aims to be an industry leader in Safety.
We seek a dynamic individual who is educated and well versed in managing and continuously improving the EHS process. The EHS Manager is responsible for the overall development and implementation of environmental health and safety programs for the assigned district(s) (wholly owned and partners) in conjunction with RAC’s safety managers from other districts. The role applies professional knowledge and expertise in the administration and support of safety programs to continuously inspire safety performance improvement, ensure compliance with regulatory agency guidelines and company policies, and promote a culture of safety. Additional responsibility may include the management of the workers’ compensation program in assigned district(s).
What You Will Do
The EHS Manager will be responsible for managing the implementation of consistent, compliant, and thorough safety, health, and industrial hygiene systems and training programs in all areas of the assigned district(s). This includes but is not limited to:
- Managing District EHS professionals.
- Setting and monitoring goals / objectives / assignments, coaching / counseling, developing and monitoring employee development plans, and providing recommendations as part of the succession planning, appraisal, and salary planning process.
- Developing EHS objectives for the District – auditing, analyzing, documenting, and reporting on their implementation and effectiveness to management via meetings and reports.
- Developing and sustaining all required safety policies, procedures and a District specific plan to reduce personal safety risk, e.g., Hazard Communication, BBP, Hearing Conservation, PPE Assessments, and Job Safety Analysis (JSA).
- Analyzing safety performance metric data for the OSHA log and reporting to government agencies and RAC’s safety metrics dashboard.
- Interpreting and applying rules, regulations, and standards of practice related to EHS and developing a plan for the imbedding of these new requirements at the District level.
- Monitoring and evaluating EHS risks of field operations, including change management, ensuring continuous improvement of the EHS program to make it leaner and more efficient.
- Developing and implementing accident investigation procedures, training, data analysis, and recurrence prevention programs.
- Leading on-site major reviews, inspections, and audits of ranch production areas.
- Determining, implementing, and reviewing corrective actions and follows-up to verify completion.
- Developing and implementing EHS training strategy for the assigned district, ensuring key risk and regulatory requirements are addressed for appropriate audiences, including new hires.
- Reviewing safety data for accurate reporting to government agencies, Cal-OSHA 300 logs, and safety metrics dashboard.
- Supporting and facilitating District EHS committees / teams to ensure implementation of the EHS program.
- Close collaboration with corporate and district level Human Resources, Workers Compensation and Production personnel to ensure optimal safety performance within district and across Company.
- Support the Workers’ Compensation Program to include claims management, reserve adequacy, settlement authorization, and litigations.
- Point of contact for litigations. Coordinate with legal as required.
- Collaborating with workers compensation team in updating required policies, procedures and processes integrating new regulatory requirements.
- Developing, coordinating and conducting employee and management training.
- Support and may lead monthly Workers’ Compensation claims review meetings with Production Management and Partners (e.g., cost impact, exposure reduction, etc.)
- Coordinating programs with other functional areas (e.g., Risk, Workers Compensation, Human Resources, Production Management, etc.).
- Support in preparing monthly loss runs. Analyze data and share results with Safety team members for actionable items.
- Supporting Risk Department strategic objectives and goals.
- Complying with all regulatory requirements.
- Work in conjunction with Workers Compensation Department managing injury response process for work related injuries to include:
- Assisting injured employee in obtaining medical treatment and providing support to the employee
- Injury reporting
- Accident investigation/information gathering
- Conducting interactive with employee and manager, to include accommodation
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bi-lingual (Spanish)
- Maintain confidentiality of employee data
- Demonstrate outstanding stewardship and relationship building/management skills to expand the mission of Reiter Affiliated Companies
- Create new and unique ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit a plus
- Proficiently use Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrate outstanding judgment and mature business skills with the ability to establish a strong rapport with management
- Consult, problem solve and apply analytical skills and good judgment
- Prioritize and be flexible in changing expectations
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to safety and to inspire others
- Demonstrate a very high level of organizational and time management skills
- Cal/OSHA and applicable regulatory standards and requirements (i.e., Workers’ Compensation)
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in Safety Management
- Experience in project management, with skills necessary to interpret what is needed for the success of a project and to create appropriate schedules for timely delivery
- Valid California Driver’s License and ability to be insured under the company insurance
- Significant experience in safety in a multisite environment and in California agriculture preferred
- May hold, or if required to hold, is capable of attaining the following certifications:
- Train-the-Trainer of Pesticide Safety (WPS)
- California Agricultural Safety Certificate Program – AgSafe
- OSHA Advanced Safety and Health Certificate Program
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) by Board of Certified Safety Professional
Location, Travel, Schedule
- Watsonville, CA
- Travel, as required but anticipate up to 90% (local, Travel to multiple ranches within the district)
- Full-Time Position for Reiter Affiliated Companies (RAC)
- Start Date: August 2020
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.